Nortel D5000 core switch is more or less one giant broadcast domain with 3
subnets and 3 logical collison domains (back in the day you simply divided
the hub into logical port groups to keep the collisions down).All of the
downstream switches are 10bFL uplinks. There are three Nortel 350F switches
that I can connect via Cu.

We want to replace the D5000 with a Cisco 8510 that has 16 ports of FA and 8
ports of 100bFL and an E0 on the Sup. I figured out today that I can't get a
VLAN on any of the ports (okay, I can trunk but w/o switches downstream it
does me no good and, no, I didn't buy the box as someone else chose it for
price:rolleyes:).

1. Do I need to include all ports in the router as a bridge group to talk to
each other?
2. Are VLANs an option with an 8510? (So far the answer is no, but that's
one reason why I'm posting)
3 Do I need IRB to allow all 3+ disparate bridge groups to talk to each
other?
4. Explain (hopefully better than I did) the difference between a VLAN and a
Bridge Group.

I would love to hear any suggestions/ideas/questions you may have for this
replacement.