OK,  I'll take a stab at question 4 and see if that sorts out the others on
the way...

I would by no means class myself as an expert on the 8500 series, but here's
my understanding of how this should work.

In 8500 terminology a bridge group is a switch local broadcast domain.  i.e.
all ports in bridge group 2 are in the same broadcast domain.  Most people
would generally consider this the definition of a VLAN, but on the 8500 a
VLAN is only present on a trunk - and you map bridge groups to vlans by
putting a trunked subinterface into a specific bridge group.

e.g.  If switch 1 has a bridge group 1 and switch 2 has a bridge group 2.
You could join these broadcast domains by running a cable between switch 1
and switch 2, creating a subinterface on each switch port, you then set each
subinterface to use the same trunk type and vlan number (e.g. 'encapsulation
dot1q 10')  You also add these ports to the relevant bridge group. You then
have a VLAN 10, which consists of all ports in switch 1 bridge group 1, plus
the ports in switch 2 bridge group 2.

In your example, you only have one 8500, so you can just consider a bridge
group to be identical to a VLAN.

To route packets from one bridge group to another you either use IRB, or you
have an external router connected to all 3 bridge groups (either on
individual ports, or by way of a trunk).

Take a look at this CCO link for more details on how to configure this:
(mind the wrap)

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/l3sw/8540/rel_12_0/w5_6e/sof
tcnfg/4cfg8500.htm

Hope this helps.