I am also new to BGP, I read some Halabi , Cisco docs, and CCNP routing
(sybex and Cisco press)
The best refernce to start with , in my opinion, is

BGP4 Interdomain routing in the internet
 John W. stewart III
160 pages  $22

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=0DU8A4O9G
Y&isbn=0201379511