Yes we have settled the question.  Most PBX's will probably use analog E&M
if small, or Digital PRI/QSIG if larger.

You can run an IP phone off of a router with ITS or SRST, but I probably
shouldn't be telling you that without the caveat that you need a license for
either service.  Contact your local cisco account rep, blah, blah, blah...