""Kevin Wigle""  wrote in message

> W2K/XP does that automatically.  If you have the icon turned on in the
> system tray for the nic, you will see when the cable is unplugged and when
> it is plugged in again. (you don't need it turned on to work)
>
> this has been stated somewhere before in this thread.

That was me trying to keep everyone's perspective of the pre-w2k clients on
the described network.  But I didn't realize there were problems with w2k
clients as well at that point.

> But Chuck says he has W2K/XP and it isn't working. (for everybody).  Why
is
> it working for some and not others?
> In our lab we sometimes punch a PC from one segment to another.  When it
> doesn't work we just unplug and replug and it usually works the 2nd time.

Oh I didn't catch that part of the problem description.  I thought the users
were all 98/NT4.  If that were so, it would be perfectly expected what's
happening.

> Sounds like it's time to get the sniffer working.

Yes it really does sound like time to look at L2 and the ACTUAL details of
this situation.  Could be a variety of things but the packet capture should
show the cards.

After solving those though there is still the pre-w2k clients which aren't
disappearing tomorrow.  IMHO the traditional way to handle this before many
clients did the automatic renewal upon link up was to:
a)make the "mobile" access ports on one VLAN per building(or conveniently
close geographic footprint)
b)with caution tune lease times downward for those access VLANs to roughly
the time it would take to travel from one building/campus to another
Some folks also:
-got fancy with meeting the concept behind A and did things based upon mac
prefixes.
-just educated folks to release and acquire a new address or reboot(doesn't
help Chuck's situation much)

Darrell
Service Advisor
http://www.netswitch.net