This may seem like too simple of a solution (no such thing though right?)
But my approach to this problem for a consulting client who floats from
network to network with a wireless NIC was to just make him a batch file and
put a shortcut to it on his desktop. The batch file has two commands in it:

ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew
(naturally, a win98 machine needs ipconfig/release_all and
ipconfig/renew_all)

And I told him to double-click that icon if he ever wasn't getting network
traffic. Of course, I got the usual end user questions - why do I have to do
this, isn't there a way that I can go from work to home and not have to
click this icon, etc... I told him his other option was to get billed for me
to make an on-site visit to do the same thing, and it hasn't been an issue
since.