the answer is yes you can use the EMI image and still have strictly L2, but
why?

the 3550-12G's come with EMI standard

the 3550-12,24, and 48 boxes come with SMI unless you specify EMI. You can
always upgrade SMI to EMI later
with the appropriate license upgrade.

You could also save a buck or two by getting the 2950 line of switches. No
routing ever, and somewhat scaled down QoS capability. Depends on what you
want and need.

HTH
--

www.chuckslongroad.info