Isn't there a limitation on the number of MACs that a port will handle?
Won't hubs share all those macs with each port, and possibly cause the max
limit to be reached?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 8:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How to restrict hubs in a LAN [7:54937]

David j wrote:

> See inline..
> Chuck's Long Road wrote:
> >
> > as much of a rulemeister as I am, I still have to look at this
> > from the user
> > standpoint. Why are users throwing their own hubs onto the
> > network? Is there
> > a business case to be made? Is facilities too slow getting
> > requested cable
> > pulls done?
> >
> > what is the concern with a user plugging a hub in at the desk
> > and then
> > connected a couple of extra PC's? if the problem is one of
> dual
> > homing by
> > accident or otherwise, I can see the issue with spanning tree
> > recalculations. But in a single home situation,  what do you
> > see as the
> > issues?
> >

> I see one issue: collisions, if you have a switched network you
> don't want to deal with collisions that hubs normally produce.
> I have to recognize, though, that hubs sometimes are very
> convenient and I'm the first on using them.

Collisions are only a problem for the hubbed network that the user made for
him/her self. The switched network is isolated from the collisions (with the
exception of the one switch port that connects the user's hub).

I say, let 'em do it! What's the harm? Don't you have way more bandwidth
than you need anyway?? ;-) A lot of companies do. Reference the disussion of
Cisco stock. Nobody's buying, because, guess what, we don't need it!??

Tech support is an issue, though, of course, for example, the user that is
clueful enough to know he/she needs a hub but not clueful enough to select
the right cable (x-over versus s/t) and duplex mode. Well a hub should
defaul to half, but a lot of devices that are marketed as hubs are really
switches or bridges.

But could you say they aren't supported rather than out right disallowing
them? Is there a comprosmise somewhere??

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration