Over here in South Africa, Cisco books are sold at a minimum of a R1000.00
although some of them reach R1600.00 each That is a lot of money for us. For
example, our exchange rate is R10.52 to $1.00 so even if the book RRP is
$50.00, we will pay R900.00 for it. Then we still have to pay shipping which
sometimes is nearly equivalent to price of the book itself. Reading most of
the Cisco Press books, I've realised how much of the same stuff is sometimes
regurgitated amongst them.
Now I have a huge cisco press library, that was bought from a CCIE, and I
still buy books (the real kind), but I don't see the sense in buying some
cisco press book for the high price of R1000.00 when I know I will only read
them once. For those books, I would prefer to have them in PDF format, at a
reasonable price. I understand the piracy thing, it's just to easy to email
a pdf of the book. But for me to pay $50.00 for a virtual copy of the book
does not make sense. In that case, I'll would rather pay for the shipping
and get the real thing ... After all a bookshelf full of cisco press books
in their trademark green looks very sexy, and initimidates the sh!t out of
everyone else, when you tell them you've read them all! (obviously, it's
even better if you remember it all!)

The other thing also affect us, is the shipping, after paying a huge amount
for a book, custom's get's hold of it, charges us more, and hopefully, then
our postal system delivers the book (if they don't steal it). I bought
Doyle' TCP Vol2, and the first one got missing, after which amazon had to
send another copy ... Life is sometimes just not fair for those of us not in
the U.S.A !

BTW, Adobe has a lot of sexy 'rights management technologies'. If you create
e-books, you can lock it to a specific user. The e-book will be unreadable
anywhere else. Although this has already probably been cracked! :-(

Just my take on it.
Manish