If it just goes with books this would be durable but you forgot to say
how painful it is if you ever thought of having your own CCIE lab. Buying
routers is some sort of unaffordable luxury, one becaeause of the range
of salaries that when converted into its equivalent amount in dollars
looks peanuts, the other is which makes it even worse is that we pay much
more than the original price of the equipment to cover shipment and taxes
imposed on any exported equipment.

 This makes the only feasable possibility to have a real lab over there
if your company can afford one - for company's use - or just rely on your
real experience through work.

Ughhhh.. life is just so unfair.

I was laughing my headoff reading that e-mail of the guy who left USA to
England and trying to same some money for his power chords. Thought wanna
have some real fun and know the real meaning of spending money you should
drop a visit to Egypt.

Anyway, no matter what it takes I will nail this CCIE beast down

Regards,

Yasser

>From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" > >Over here in South Africa, Cisco
books are sold at a minimum of a R1000.00 >although some of them reach
R1600.00 each That is a lot of money for us. For >example, our exchange
rate is R10.52 to $1.00 so even if the book RRP is >$50.00, we will pay
R900.00 for it. Then we still have to pay shipping which >sometimes is
nearly equivalent to price of the book itself. Reading most of >the Cisco
Press books, I've realised how much of the same stuff is sometimes
>regurgitated amongst them. >Now I have a huge cisco press library, that
was bought from a CCIE, and I >still buy books (the real kind), but I
don't see the sense in buying some >cisco press book for the high price
of R1000.00 when I know I will only read >them once. For those books, I
would prefer to have them in PDF format, at a >reasonable price. I
understand the piracy thing, it's just to easy to email >a pdf of the
book. But for me to pay $50.00 for a virtual copy of the book >does not
make sense. In that case, I'll would rather pay for the shipping >and get
the real thing ... After all a bookshelf full of cisco press books >in
their trademark green looks very sexy, and initimidates the sh!t out of
>everyone else, when you tell them you've read them all! (obviously, it's
>even better if you remember it all!) > >The other thing also affect us,
is the shipping, after paying a huge amount >for a book, custom's get's
hold of it, charges us more, and hopefully, then >our postal system
delivers the book (if they don't steal it). I bought >Doyle' TCP Vol2,
and the first one got missing, after which amazon had to >send another
copy ... Life is sometimes just not fair for those of us not in >the
U.S.A ! > >BTW, Adobe has a lot of sexy 'rights management technologies'.
If you create >e-books, you can lock it to a specific user. The e-book
will be unreadable >anywhere else. Although this has already probably
been cracked! :-( > >Just my take on it. >Manish > >-----Original
Message----- >From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>Sent: 08 October 2002 04:57 >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >Subject: Re:
E-books [7:55001] > > >I haven't looked into how Cisco Press is doing
their online books. I think >you have to subscribe or something. > >The
publishers are interested in technical feedback on what works for
>people. They know they need to address the need for electronic access at
a >reasonable price. Most of them are kind of fumbling around trying to
figure >this out. If there's legitimate reasons for liking PDF, I think
that's good >feedback. > >I doubt they'll use PDF, though, because it's
too easy to share. The >publishers will definitely need to make money on
the electronic products and >they will want to minimize easy access to
the products by people who want to >get something for nothing, or, worse,
people who want to sell the >publisher's property without the publisher's
consent. > >Hey, I'm beginning to sound like a lawyer. Seriously, there's
lots of room >for innovation here with results that please the customer
and make business >sense for the publisher. Now I sound like a marketer.
>From an author's point >of view, I want people to see all that content I
worked so hard on. The >money is nice but so small, it's secondary. >
>_______________________________ > >Priscilla Oppenheimer
chapter > > to study from. Then I can highlight different parts for
different > > areas of > > study. This avoids messing up the original
book. I have done > > this may times > > with the Lanmmle books, all of
which I paid for myself. In > > fact, I am doing > > this right now as I
leave for class. I need to brush up on VLAN > > configuration. While the
students are doing a lab on their own, > > I will be > > reviewing VLAN
information so I can create a new lab for VLANs > > in a CAN. I > > wish
all books came hardcover and pdf. > > > > ""Ben W"" wrote in message > >
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]... > > > Yes you can, and you
can also read it on your laptop which > > weighs a lot > > less > > >
than lugging around Caslow and Doyle's books. Give the guy a > > break.
He > > did > > > ask in his email of any website that SELLS pdf formats
of > > books. > > > > > > Michael Linehan wrote: > > > > > > > > You
can't read a book on a plane??? > > > > > > > > ----- Original Message
----- > > > > From: "Ellis, Andrew" > > > > To: "'Michael Linehan'" ; > >
E-books [7:55001] > > > > > > > > > > > > > or maybe he wants to read it
on his laptop while > > commuting. > > > > > > > > > > -Drew :^) > > > >
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] > > > > > Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 3:17
PM > > > > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > > > Subject: Re: E-books
[7:55001] > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I know you know this already but
the only logical > > conclusion > > > > is that he > > > > > wants PDF
format so its easily illegally copied and > > > > distributed. > > > > >
the > > > > "get it for > > > > > free, society". > > > > > > > > > >
Subject: Re: E-books [7:55001] > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > WHY do you
want PDF format? > > > > > > > > > > > > Aser Anani wrote: > > > > > > >
> Why do you want PDF format? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Aser Anani
wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > nothing in PDF format > > > > > >
> > ""Priscilla Oppenheimer"" wrote in > > > > > > > > message
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]... > > > > > > > > Aser Anani
cisco > > > > > > > books , > > > > > > > > > i am looking > > > > > > >
to www.ciscopress.com and click on the Online > > Books > > > > tab. > >
certified Virus Free. > > > > > Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com). > > > > > Version: 6.0.393 / Virus Database:
223 - Release Date: > > > > 10/3/2002 > > > > Outgoing mail is certified
Virus Free. > > > > Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com). > > > > Version: 6.0.393 / Virus Database: 223
misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]