Rajesh Kumar wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Everytime I get confused with this metrics while redistribution

This message will have a few basic comments and then a more complicated
comment at the end, when I realized your question was more advanced than we
originally thought...

Routing protocols aren't compatible with each other, but they can learn
information from each other. Specifically, they aren't compatible with
regards to the metrics they use.

When you redistribute a route frome one routing protocol into a new routing
protocol, you have to tell the new routing protocol a starting metric to
use. This must be in the format that the new routing protocol understands.
EIGRP uses bandwidth, delay, reliability, and load. EIGRP routers also share
information about MTU. Although it's not part of the composite metric
calculation, MTU information is associated with a route and shared among
EIGRP routers. (Actually, as Chuck mentioned, reliability and load aren't
used either in the metric calculation unless you configure the metric
weights command, but EIGRP routers share information about these factors
anyway, so you need to include them.)

If a route was learned by OSPF and now you are redistributing it into EIGRP,
the route won't have information about bandwidth, etc. associated with it,
because OSPF uses cost. So you have to manually supply this information.

If you were redistributing from EIGRP into OSPF, then you would have to
manually configure a cost for OSPF.

More comments below...

> :
>
> The scenario is this :
>
> 1.  Redist from OSPF to EIGRP.
>
>     router eigrp 1
>         redis ospf 1
>         default-metric 1544 100 255 1 1500
>
>     router ospf 1
>         redis eigrp 1 subnets
>         default-metric 25
>
> What difference does it make when I say "default-metric 10000
> 100 255 1
> 1550" instead of the above.

You're saying that the bandwidth metric will be 10,000 kbps instead of 1544
kbps for these redistributed routes. So you're saying that to reach the
networks that are on the OSPF side, you want the EIGRP routers to know that
they are reachable via a 10,000,000 link, (Ethernet probably?) You wouldn't
want to use this value unless it's true that the link to those networks
really is higher-speed than the 1544 Mbps. You should probably adjust the
delay too. The delay is much lower for 10 Mbps versus 1.544 Mbps.

> Does the metrics  points to the destination interface ( metrics
> ) where
> it is redistributed into  OR it points  where the routes are
> originated
> from ( ethernet interface or serial int )?

Where they came from. You're telling EIGRP the metric to use for networks on
the OSPF side. When a router on the EIGRP side receives the EIGRP update
with these networks in it, it take this info into account and info about the
characteristics of the network where the Update arrived. So that EIGRP
network is added into the equation by the recipients and isn't something you
manualy configure when redistributing. You configure the metric as viewed
from the other side, if that makes sense.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com