At 12:36 PM +0000 10/16/02, bergenpeak wrote:
>Sorry for the OT post.  Figured I'd float this here and see if
>any one might be able to help.
>
>Does anyone really know where the 50 ms SONET detect/fail-over time
>comes from?
>I've heard many answers, but none seem to be verifiable.  I'm looking
>for pointers to docs which explain where or what drove the 50 ms number.
>
>I've heard that:
>
>* 50 ms was a requirement to support voice.   The way this one is told
>is that
>   more than 50 ms of noise/nothingness seriously impacts MOS.  Not sure
>   I buy that.
>

>* Old telco switches would go bonkers if many T1's started to flap
>   a the same time.  50ms at the SONET level prevented the T1s from
>   flapping.
>
>* others, etc.
>
>Again, looking for docs / pointers which details the answer.
>
>Thanks

I won't call this gospel, but the SONET developers I know told me the
requirement came from SS7, not SONET itself or user traffic. There
were circumstances under which loss of SS7 signal for >50 ms could
cause a significant number of call drops.

Unfortunately, this somehow became a user rather than a control plane
requirement.  It's been necessary to have 50 msec failover mechanisms
in MPLS to get significant telco buy-in.

The irony is that many telcos are moving their SS7 networks off
separate facilities and onto their IP-based Operations Support
Services (OSS) networks.