You may want to get a hold of the Bellcore GR 253
SONET generic standards doc or other SONET Bellcore GR
docs relating to switching times and the equivalent
SDH ITU-T standards (which I am not sure what it is).
On the SDH side you may want to start with ITU-T
G.783.

Hope this helps

pb

--- bergenpeak  wrote:
> Sorry for the OT post.  Figured I'd float this here
> and see if
> any one might be able to help.
>
> Does anyone really know where the 50 ms SONET
> detect/fail-over time
> comes from?
> I've heard many answers, but none seem to be
> verifiable.  I'm looking
> for pointers to docs which explain where or what
> drove the 50 ms number.
>
> I've heard that:
>
> * 50 ms was a requirement to support voice.   The
> way this one is told
> is that
>   more than 50 ms of noise/nothingness seriously
> impacts MOS.  Not sure
>   I buy that.
>

> * Old telco switches would go bonkers if many T1's
> started to flap
>   a the same time.  50ms at the SONET level
> prevented the T1s from
>   flapping.
>
> * others, etc.
>
> Again, looking for docs / pointers which details the
> answer.
>
> Thanks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://faith.yahoo.com