Couple of notes from another 15454 user at the bottom of the email...

Dre wrote:

>  Can it participate in an MPLS network?

It probably will be able to someday.  Give it about 10-20 years or so.

>  Does it support IP GRE, 802.1p, .q, DiffServ ?

It will pass IEEE 802.1Q tagged frames.  It cannot terminate or
participate in negotiation of an IEEE 802.1Q or Cisco ISL trunk.  So,
no, not really. That stuff can pass through it, but it won't terminate
or negotiate them. Make sense?
--------------------
Not a SONET transport engineer, and I don't play one on TV:

The best way that I've found to describe the ONS platform is to call it
a fairly smart but dumb L2 device.  It's not a switch really.  It can't
really do trunking 'n such, but it does allow you to pass the tags
through.  It's not a router, so it isn't going to do GRE, DiffServe,
routing, or act as an MPLS PE or P device.  It's just a big freekin go
fast box for moving voice and data.  That's it.  No L3, basic L2.  If
you want it to participate in an MPLS network, it will most likely be
just the 'last mile' between your PE and the CPE.  At 10Gig that's a
fast mile.
If you want something SONET and slightly smarter, look at the Coriolis
boxes.  Not a lot smarter, mind you...  This stuff is generally designed
to be big and dumb, reliable as all, and faster 'n snot.
If you have access to PEC as a Cisco Partner, there is an excellent web
based training session on the ONS15454 that will walk you through some
of the basics, and point you in the direction of the rest.

Bill

[GroupStudy.com removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature
which had a name of smime.p7s]