You can choose to operate TCP intercept in watch mode, as opposed to
intercept mode. In watch mode, the software passively watches the connection
requests flowing through the router. If a connection fails to get
established in a configurable interval, the software intervenes and
terminates the connection attempt by sending a RESET to the server.

After enabling tcp intercept, use the "ip tcp intercept mode watch" comamnd
to say you want watch mode, and then use "ip tcp intercept watch-timeout
seconds" to set how long the router should watch a half-open connection
before terminating it.

With this method, you would protect the server from keeping connections open
for a long time (you mentioned 2.5 minutes) due to a hacker sending a SYN
request but never completing the three-way handshake. In a lot of cases, the
hacker is using a spoofed address and never sees the SYN ACK, so it doesn't
send the final ACK. The hacker doesn't care. He's already done his damage by
bugging the server and causing the server to keep a connection half open.

You would also close a legitmate half-open connection where the client took
that long to send the final ACK, but that's probably OK. It's unlikely that
a legtimate and properly functioning client would take that long, so you
wouldn't be closing much that you shouldn't close.

If that's not what you had in mind, please rewrite your question. It's a bit
hard to understand as written. Thanks.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com