From: Jennifer Mellone [mailto:jmellone@;speakeasy.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 10:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: 4006 IP Phone DHCP problem [7:56049]

Larry,

I noticed you have the command "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q".

Do you need to configure the interface/port as a trunk when you do the "set
port auxiliaryvlan" command (catos) or the "switch voice vlan" command (ios
switch)? According to Cisco's website, you don't for a catos switch, but you
do for an ios switch:

Check this out:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/ip_tele/network/dgcamp
us.htm#xtocid364019

NO TRUNKING HERE ON CATOS SWITCH:

Voice VLAN Configuration

To configure the VVID from the Catalyst software CLI, use the set port
auxiliaryvlan command. You can use this command to set the VVID on a single
port, on a range of ports, or for an entire module. The following example
shows how to display the command syntax:

Console> (enable) set port auxiliaryvlan help

Usage: set port auxiliaryvlan

(vlan + 1..1000)

In the following example, the VVID is set to 222 for ports 2/1 through 2/3.
When the phone powers up, the switch instructs it to register with VLAN 222.

Console> (enable) set port auxiliaryvlan 2/1-3 222

Auxiliaryvlan 222 configuration successful.

The following examples show how to display which ports are in which
auxiliary VLAN:

Console> show port auxiliaryvlan 222

AuxiliaryVlan auxVlanStatus Mod/Ports

------------- ------------- ---------

222 222 1/2,2/1-3

Console> show port 2/1

Port AuxiliaryVlan AuxVlan-Status

----- ------------- --------------

2.1 222 active

TRUNKING HERE ON IOS SWITCH:

The following is an example of VVID configuration on Catalyst switches
running Cisco IOS at the interface level (for example, Catalyst 3524-PWR and
2900XL):

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan

spanning-tree portfast

switchport mode trust

- Jennifer
PS - are you going to trust the CoS going from phone to switch?