I haven't seen that any other's posters have had this problem, which makes
me think I may be missing something really basic in the configuration.  Any
help is greatly appreciated

I have MPPP configured on two routers' BRI interfaces with the load
threshold set at one, so the second b channel should come up immediately.
Two dialer maps are configured, each pointing to the same ip, using the
different dial strings of the other router's two b channels:

host Capetown
interface BRI0
 ip address 192.168.16.3 255.255.255.0
 no ip directed-broadcast
 encapsulation ppp
 dialer idle-timeout 60
 dialer map ip 192.168.16.1 name SanJose1 broadcast 384010
 dialer map ip 192.168.16.1 name SanJose1 broadcast 384710
 dialer load-threshold 1 either
 dialer-group 1
 isdn switch-type basic-5ess
 isdn spid1 3847400001 384030
 isdn spid2 3847400002 384750
 ppp authentication chap
 ppp multilink

host SanJose1
 interface BRI0
 ip address 192.168.16.1 255.255.255.0
 no ip directed-broadcast
 encapsulation ppp
 dialer idle-timeout 60
 dialer map ip 192.168.16.3 name Capetown broadcast 384030
 dialer map ip 192.168.16.3 name Capetown broadcast 384750
 dialer-group 1
 isdn switch-type basic-5ess
 isdn spid1 3847000001 384010
 isdn spid2 3847000002 384710
 ppp authentication chap
 ppp multilink

When a host off  Capetown's E0 interface initiates traffic towards SanJose1,
the first B channel comes up, but the second B channel never does.

I've done a lot of debugging (dialer, q931, ppp negotiation) and staring
blankly at it and I see what's happening, but I have no idea why, or how to
correct it.

What's happening is this:
1)Interesting traffic received
2)Dialer dials 384010 on the first B channel
3)Connection is made, PPP LCP, Authentication, and IPCP succeed.
4)Multilink bundle is sucessfully created with BRI0:1 as the only member
5)Load threshold is exceeded.
6)Dialer AGAIN TRIES TO DIAL THE SAME NUMBER - 384010
7)Q931 fails - message back from the isdn switch that the called line is
busy (no surprise)
8)Dialer tries the other number - 384710
9)Error message that 2 dialers are already in use, no free dialers.
(I take this to mean the dialer that originally called 384010, and the
second dialer which again tried to call 384010)

I have successfully MANUALLY got the second B channels to join the same
multilink bundle and stay up,

(Capetown)# isdn call int bri0:2 384710

so it seems to be just the one free dialer tieing itself up trying to setup
a call on the second B channel to a number that the first B channel is
already connected to.

Thanks for any help.

(The whole config on both routers is verbatim out of Cisco Sem 6 lab, other
than using appropriate spids and dial strings).