This command won't reach the modems that you can't see of course, so those
modems won't be reset.

The problem was that we had a
> power outage and the uBR was reset.. If the cable
> modems are hardware reset, the uBR sees them. I assume
> there has to be a way to solve this problem without
> going to each and every customer and reset the cable
> modem..
When a modem looses the frequency it was acquired on, it starts scanning for
another one. At first, it takes steps of (I believe) 3 MHz. So it doesn't
take a very long time to go through the whole spectrum.
But when it still can't find a frequency, it starts scanning in steps of 125
kHz. And then it can take an awfull lot of time for the modem to acquire
again.

When you reboot the modem, it will start looking for the frequency it was
last acquired on, before it starts scanning.
So that's why a modem comes online immediately after a power cycle.

Maybe you're just not waiting long enough for the modem to re-acquire again?
It would be interesting to see what the modem is doing, so maybe you can get
a friendly customer to look at that via the web browser? (If that's
possible, as I don't know the make of the modem) At least then you know if
the modem is scanning or just locked up.

Hope that helps.

Peter