heys,

ran into something interesting today.  not sure if it is a dos attack or if
it
indicates an ip stack misconfig. here is the symptom:

periodically through the day today we received 100,000 packet bursts on a t-1
circuit.  this is a name-brand provider.  when the burst occurs it is from
the
same ip address.  on some bursts the packets are all acks.  on others they
are
all fin acks.  they are directed at our email servers.  when they occur the
packets in a burst are all sourced from the same ip address.  in the one case
where we resolved the ip address back it was another orgs email server.
based
on the router interface stats the traffic is coming from the outside and is
not an internal broadcast storm.

per the ms site, "A default-configured Windows NT 3.5x or 4.0 computer will
retransmit the SYN-ACK 5 times, doubling the time-out value after each
retransmission."   if the same logic holds for other parts of the handshake
then i'm at a loss to explain tens of thousands of packets unless it is an
exploit of a weakness in the stack that allows for virtually unlimited
retries.

anyone run into this kind of situation before and was the resolution a
service
pack or other such server upgrade?  it caused considerable slowness on
external accesses as you might imagine.  i grabbed a number of traces
documenting it and we did contact our provider (they opened a ticket with
their security folk).

thanks.