the filter doesn't like special characters.  sorry.  here is another try
without the less than symbol:

priscilla,

the bursts were less than 2mins each in duration as i recall.  they occurred
sporatically through the day.  i have traces and i'll look for more precise
timeframes later tonite.  within each burst the packets were from the same
ip address.  there were at least 2 unique non-contiguous ip addresses
involved and 1 repeated a burst at least once that we tracked (i.e. at least
2 bursts of 100k packets).

the trace reveals acks and fin acks; no syn or syn ack's noted (my reference
to syn acks in the prior email was the only reference i could find on the ms
site that discussed their retry implementation, which could cause this if it
was unlimited).  firewalls are in place which is why i was going down the
path of a misconfiguration on our servers.  in theory the firewall vendor
states that the firewall is doing a stateful inspection and we did see some
evidence of packets being dropped at the firewall - but not all.  if the
session was not previously opened the firewall should drop the ack and fin
ack's as they are not a valid start of session transmission.  each burst
contained the same sequence and ack numbers.

i wondered at first if it was our servers that was initiating this behavior
pattern.  we did reboot the servers.  urban legend has it (i.e. my neighbor
has a friend whose wife's cousin said ...) that unexpected terminations of
outlook web access can cause this kind of behavior to occur, but it is just
legend.  an examination of the trace doesn't point in that direction but i
need to spend more time reviewing them.  and the problem reoccurred after
the reboots.

like i said i think it is an interesting issue because there are so many
possibilities and it forces one to think about all the many things that can
go wrong.

thanks for your insights and thoughtful questions.