Tech Tips are provided by the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) at Cisco, in
other words, the tech support engineer types. They address issues that the
TAC engineers have come across when working with many customers.

The Doc CD is provided by the Documentation department at Cisco, in other
words, the tech writer types. The Documenation department writes the
Configuration Guides and Command References and related material. Their
documents tend to me more formal and comprehensive, covering every little
command and command parameter, whether a customer will ever use it or not.

I don't think TAC material is on the CD, is it?? Remember the CD comes from
the Documenation department.

As far as navigating the CD, you have to know where topcs are in the Config
Guides and Command References. Some topics might be obvious, but a lot
aren't. For example, where might you find info on SNMP configuration? How
about using extended ping? Or configuing tunnels? Or loopback interfaces?
Policy-based routing? Traffic shaping? Frame Relay traffic shaping? How
about the Web Cache Communication Protocol? Could you go right to each of
those topics quickly?

You have to learn where topics are. You won't want to depend on a search
engine which will find way too much, some of which won't be for the IOS that
you're suing. You also won't want to depend on logic since the
categorization of topics isn't based on logic in some cases. ;-)

I think it will just take practice. I don't know of any shortcuts. Does
anyone else?

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com