""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> Jason Owens wrote:
> >
> > I have a LAN segment in which I wish to move the routing from a
> > 7206 to a new 6509. On the 7206, The interface I want to move
> > has the one main segment (172.16.x.y/24) and around 15
> > secondary interfaces of various networks (My predecessors
> > apparently didn't like sub-interfaces). Unfortunately, IPX is
> > also being routed off of that interface. I want to separate all
> > of these IP networks into individual VLAN's and route between
> > them. My question is how can I get this one IPX network amongst
> > the vlan's that need it? Is this possible?
>
> Very interesting question. I will attempt to stir up some discussion to
try
> to get you an answer. :-)

CL: nothing to "stir up". this is relatively straightforward

> Couldn't you bridge IPX traffic between these VLANs? To do this you
wouldn't
> put any ipx network numbers on the subinterfaces, but you would put the
ones
> that have IPX devices in the same bridge group.

CL: that's exactly right. works for all bridged protocols.

> The Cisco LAN Switching book also talks about Routed Switch Virtual
> Interfaces (SVIs) for situations like this. Check Chapter 18.

CL: don't know. can do this on the 3550's but I have little direct
experience with 65xx's

> You should take some time to learn how the IPX clients are getting L3
> information in the current network. (Always characterize the exiting
network
> before designing enhancements.) Then take some time to think about the
> traffic once you introduce VLANs and isolate broadcast domains. (Are VLANs
> new to this network? Was it all one big broadcast domain before??)

CL: as always, good advice

> When an IPX client boots, it broadcasts a Get Nearest Server (GNS)
message,
> as you may know. Either a router or server can respond to this. But it has
> to be in the same broadcast domain to hear it. What is responding now? And
> will it still be in the same broadcast domain in your new design?
>
> After the client learns about a server, including its L3 address, it
> broadcasts a Find Network Number message to find a router that can get it
> the server.
>
> Through these messages, the client learns its own network number, the
> address of a server, and the address of a local router.

CL: all of this is educational, and worth reviewing. the person who asked
the questions should be aware that if he bridges all of his formerly
separate IPX networks, all his IPX clients will end up in One Big Flat
Network, i.e. one broadcast domain. This might not be a bright idea,
depending on how many there are. An alternative might be upgrading to an
IP/IPX L3 image on the 6509, assuming he has the L3 supervisor. ( it doesn't
state so in the description )

> Luckily, you don't have to worry about ARP broadcasts. Because a L3
address
> in IPX is network.node, where node is the MAC address, there's no need for
> ARP. If a client knows the L3 address for a devie it needs to reach, it
also
> knows the MAC address.

CL: I always liked this idea of combining L2/L3 in the host address.
Unfortunately, MACs are more difficult to deal with than IP. And IPX never
seemed to have that wealth of troubleshooting tools that IP has. Maybe
because it was less troublesome to begin with? ;->