R. Benjamin Kessler wrote:

> You could be experiencing the "long, fat network" (LFN) problem.

Could be a long, fat network problem, if this is indeed a long network (or
long-delay network). To learn more about LFNs and the TCP window scale
option for use on LFNs, see RFC 1323.

The issue is that the largest window size you can have with TCP is 65 KBytes
since the Window size field is only 2 bytes.

The window scale extension expands the definition of the TCP window to 32
bits and then uses a scale factor to carry this 32-bit value in the 16-bit
Window field of the TCP header The scale factor is carried in a new TCP
option, Window Scale. This option is sent only in a SYN segment (a segment
with the SYN bit on), hence the window scale is fixed in each direction when
a connection is opened.

Lately, I have actually seen devices using this scale extension, so I think
it is supported on modern operating systems.

It's more likely that it's not an LFN-related issue, though. It's more
likely that the TCP window size isn't set to its possible max (65 Kbytes)
even without window scaling. To start with, he should max it out to 65
Kbytes and not worry about the scaling factor, which could cause problems if
not supported on all hosts.

Benjamin and MADMAN gave good answers, but I have a few more comments below.
This is a good chance to learn about capacity versus throughput. See below....

> How far apart are these locations? (average round-trip time
> with ping?)

You still have 155 Mbps. That's your capacity, in other words, the
capability for sending bits at a certain rate. Your output interface could
send bits that fast, if the host applications gave it bits that quickly.

Throughput is not the same thing as capacity. Capacity is the capability.
Throughput is a measurement of the actual amount of data transferred in a
certain amount of time.

Network protocols packetize data. They don't whip out bits at the rate
specified by the capacity.

The following items affect throughput:

* Packet size. Bigger packets result in higher throughput for bulk
transfers. HTTP tends to not use a full size packet. FTP usually does.

* Inter-packet gap. There's time between packets when no data is sent.

* Turn around time at the client and server to process data and send the
next request for more data. The CPU speeds of the clients and servers affect
this, as do many other factors.

* Hard disk access time. Depending on the application, no data will be sent
while the client or server read/write from the hard drive, a mechanical
device that can contribute heavily to throughput.

* The amount of memory on the clients and servers can affect throughput. At
what point does the application have to write to disk to free up RAM to
receive more data?

* Protocol behavior. Is it a request/response (ping/pong) protocol? Does it
require an ACK per packet or does it support windowing?

* Error rates. Are packets getting dropped and needing to be retransmitted?

> Sprint told me I need to change the registry:
> TcpWindowSize to get better throughput. Have anyone
> experienced this before?

That would help TCP applications. Think about how TCP works. Each side
specifies a window size. The other side can output numerous packets to fill
that window, without stopping and waiting for an ACK. When it fills the
window, it must stop and wait for an ACK. It's this stopping when your
throughput is 0 bps that causes your throughput for the entire file/data
transfer to be low.

If the host has a big window size, the other side can send and send and
send, without stopping as much.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com