A cisco router broadcasts a gratuitous ARP response announcing to the world
its IP address when it boots. See this example:

Ethernet Header
  Destination:          FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF  Ethernet Broadcast
  Source:               00:00:0C:3F:00:D4
  Protocol Type:        0x0806  IP ARP
ARP - Address Resolution Protocol
  Hardware:             1  Ethernet (10Mb)
  Protocol:             0x0800  IP
  Hardware Address Length:6
  Protocol Address Length:4
  Operation:            2  ARP Response
  Sender Hardware Address:00:00:0C:3F:00:D4
  Sender Internet Address:172.16.10.1
  Target Hardware Address:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF  Ethernet Broadcast
  Target Internet Address:172.16.10.1

Is your router not doing that for some reason? You could do some sniffing to
see whether it does it. The gratuitous ARP should put the right ARP data
into the 6509's ARP cache.

So, I'm wondering if the ARP cache is the real problem.

When you had the new router installed, what did "show int ethernet" display?
Was it up/up?

Can you send us some of your config for some more clues??

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com