On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Router Man wrote:

> > Does RADIUS, S/Key, and TACACS+ encrpt the data between my PC and the
> > router, or does it just encrypt the login iformation between the router
> and
> > the ACS server?  I need to protect my sessions end to end.  Any advise

A few other things.  Just so you know: RADIUS, S/Key, and TACACS all
encrypt the login/pass from the router to the central authentication
server.  If you only have a few routers and switches most people will just
use local usernames and passwords on the routers because its easier to
setup initially.  If you really want to do it the right way or have lots
of devices I recommend a central authentication system like the above.
You can audit the system via syslog or the protocols like RADIUS and
TACACS support their own form of auditing/accounting.  I personally perfer
RADIUS because it is not proprietary, I grew up using it (I'm familiar
with it), and all of my terminal servers and workstations support it (plus I
wrote my own
RADIUS server several years ago).  Radius is good because Windows2K/XP
supports it, OS-X supports it, and *nix supports it.  So you can have one
central
login server for your entire network and it can also perform accounting
for the entire network but that is another deal.  TACACS was originally
mostly a Cisco thing (If I remember correctly, they developed it to
compete with and extend Livingston's RADIUS protocol.  I'm not sure what
other vendors support it now) and while providing great support and tons of
abilities in
Cisco devices, it is not as widely supported by the other networking
vendors as RADIUS is.  Radius has pretty much become the defacto standard
for authorization via
multiple platforms though TACACS may replace it in the future.

Remember the login/password is still sent unencrypted to the router/switch
regardless of the authentication method used.  That is why SSH or IPSec is
recommend for management of your devices.  The ideal thing is a seperate
management network but not everyone can do that.  I personally recommend
SSH because you can carry a program like PuTTY around on a floppy and
manage your device securely from any Windows machine by just running PuTTY
from the floppy.  IPSec takes some configuration on the management
workstation and is usually used when you have a fixed workstation you
use for management.

Later,
Andrew
---

http://www.andrewsworld.net/
ICQ: 2895251
Cisco Certified Network Associate

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all
of them yourself."