""Aaron Ajello""  wrote in message
news:200211050047.AAA01492@;groupstudy.com...
> I manage an EMC Clariion, which is their middle range SAN.  The advantage
> is you can add disk space to an existing server quickly and easily,
> sometimes without a reboot if it's already connected to the SAN.  You can
> also easily move a volume from one server to another.  Another use is
> something they call snap.  Snapping is taking a volume and creating a
> second, virtual copy that you can allow another server to see.  Say you
had
> a database you wanted to test something out on, you could snap it and then
> allow another, test server to see the snap copy.  Then you test what ever
> you want without actually affecting the original, production data.
Another
> advantage is better use of disk space.  You could create a RAID 5 and then
> chop it up into 4 volumes and give one volume to four different servers,
or
> you could give them all to one server, or whatever else.  You do have to
> worry about contention, but it's possible to take better advantage of disk
> space.

Aaron, I have some questions you might be able to answer.

Is this an example of what you call snapping?
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201j/0201j.htm
If so, what's the difference between doing snapping with software
(e.g. Solaris default or Veritas) and with a storage area network?

Are snaps the same thing as a scratch disk?  I guess my question is:
what's a scratch disk?  Why would you want a regular disk (not in a
RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5), or set of disks, in a volume besides 'snaps'?

Also I find RAID 0, 0+1, and 5 and volumes interesting because you
can theoretically use up the closest spindles on the disk (which I
understand
to be faster for disk I/O) for certain purposes.  Is there any
practice/theory
behind doing this?  Is it more of an art or a science?  Where does one learn
how to do volume sizing for growth/performance, or does the SAN do it for
you automagically in some ways?  How does this `better advantage of disk
space' work, exactly?  What do networks have to do with this?

Thanks,
-dre