Words by Frank Dagenhardt [Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 02:49:56PM +0000]:
> Storage Area Netorking is just a way to enable storage to be used like a
> utility. It simplifies management by consolidating all of your storage into
> a virtual pool for you to be able to draw from at any time. Enabling you to
> get the full use out of the storage that you have paid for. Most SANS have
> the ability to take advantage of cloning, snapshots, replication and
virtual
> disks. Network attached storage is more like an optimized file server. SANS
> present the storage to the servers as if they were actual physical disks on
> the server. If you have more questions I would be happy to answer.

I have, related to this last part of NAS vs SAN. Can we use SAN as a
NAS? I mean, can we share (the same) central data in a transparent way
among n servers? Will this work as a NAS on steroids? Is this
supported/used on any platform? Are we talking about exclusive or
concurrential disk accesses? Does this bring problems on data
consistency? (well, every machine sees the disks as their own...) Is it
possible at all?

TIA

--
Jose Celestino || SysAdmin::SAPO.pt http://www.sapo.pt