Matthew Webster wrote:

> Hi Priscilla,
>
> thanks for the help. I have found the chart you referred to and
> made several calculations - it appears that the bandwidth
> almost triples when you don't compress the IP, UDP and RTP
> headers.

Yes. The bandwidth requirement almost triples. (I didn't finish the
arithmetic before I hit the Post button on my previous message.)

Windows NetMeeting and other such applications might compress the IP/UDP/RTP
headers. It's an RFC that's been out for a time (RFC 2508). I don't know for
sure if they do, though. It might not be the right approach anyway. I think
compressed IP/UDP/RTP is usually implemented at the end points of slow links
and isn't meant to be used end-to-end by applications.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com