MADMAN wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   While doing something else I stumbled upon something I
> haven't seen
> and can't find any good docs on.  The platform is a 6509 with
> dual
> supII's and the command is:
>
> C6509> (enable) set dot1x ?
>   system-auth-control        Enable/Disable dot1x on the system
>   max-req                    Set dot1x maximum number of
> retransmissions
>   quiet-period               Set dot1x quiet period
>   re-authperiod              Set dot1x re-authentication period
>   server-timeout             Set dot1x server timeout
>   supp-timeout               Set dot1x supplicant timeout
>   tx-period                  Set dot1x tx period
> C6509> (enable) set dot1x
>
>   I found it when trying to enable highavailability:
>
> C6509> (enable) set sys highavailability ena
> Failed to enable system high availability.
> Feature not allowed while DOT1X is enabled.
>
>   Anyone have and god URLs that better describe what this
> feature is all
> about??  I can find the command description all over but not
> when and
> why I would want this feature and why is disables
> highavailability.

MADMAN,

We've been working on a new network for a very security-minded customer
recently.  They also are quite adament about redundancy, availability, etc.
One of our engineers claims to have found a work-around that allows for both
dot1x and high availability to be enabled simultaneously.  As luck would
have it, he's on emergency medical leave.  I'll see what I can learn on
Monday, but in the mean time, you may want to poke around.

Regards,

Scott