The default window size for modern implementations of TCP on modern
operating systems is bigger than 4080 bytes anyway. No change will probably
be necessary. The window size varies as clients and servers ACK data, but it
should start out at 8192 or greater, depending on the OS.

Are you wondering about throughput for user data or throughupt for all bytes
including overhead that are being transferred? By user data I mean the
actual file data that is being transferred.

The maximum throughput for all bytes is about 64 kbps for the file size you
mentioned (1 MB) and a window size of 4080 bytes or bigger. With that window
size, he can fill the pipe. With such a big file size, the delay of .5
seconds isn't a big deal. It's going to take a couple minutes anyway to
transfer the file. If you add on that delay to the entire time and use it in
the kbps calculation, it essentially disappears. It doesn't disappear for a
small file, however.

You want to send 8,000,000 bits at 64 Kbps. This will take 125 seconds. The
first bit will take .5 seconds. So the entire time is 125.5 seconds because
of your long delay. Guess what 8,000,000 divided by 125.5 is? About 64,000
bits per second.

If you want a better calculation, then you have to know the amount of time
that elapses for the stuff I mentioned earlier, disk access speed etc.

If you consider throughput just for user data, i.e. application-layer or
file data, then you have to pay attention to all that other stuff I wrote too.

Priscilla