Hi, group!

I have been trying to figure out how "dialer remote-name" is used/or not
used in the ppp process but without success. Here is what I understand the
ppp chap process work:
R1 calls R2
R2 challenges R1. Together with the random no and seq. no, r2 also send its
hostname as specified by "Hostname" or "ppp chap hostname", in this case,
let's say it is R2
R1 looks up the password for R2, sends the response back with its own
hostname, in this case, R1
R2 looksup the password for R1, use the password as one of the elements to
generate hash value, compare it with R1's response, and makes decision.
---I didn't see "dialer remote-name" being used in this whole process. the
name exchanged are specified with either hostname, or ppp chap hostname, and
password lookup uses username ... password.

Yet Caslow book states that "dialer remote-name statement is critical for
the called party. It must match the calling parties' host name or ppp chap
hostname." Why is it so? Can someone shed some light on this?

Thank you.

Connie Nie