On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 05:08, ciscoGo2002 wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> Suppose that I have a ISP and I would like to hide my
> internal addresses to the external customers. I would
> like to do it without using a firewall and without
> acl's.... Is there any way to do this? Can I disable
> TTL's processing in Cisco routers?

This is usually done with MPLS based cores.  Essentially, the IP TTL is
not modified at egress to relfect the number of MPLS "hops" within the
network which essentially makes the entire MPLS cloud look like one
hop.  However, the MPLS TTL is still used with the cloud for loop
mitigation.

Turning off TTL decrementing would remove the loop mitigation capability
in IP which would result in packets looping endlessly which really isn't
a good thing, and certainly not worth the tradeoff gained by hiding ones
topology ;-)

Pete