Mossburg, Geoff (MAN-Corporate) wrote:

> Out of curiosity, how would this affect traceroutes using UDP
> instead of
> TCP?

I don't think you meant to say TCP. There are two varieties of traceroute,
however, one that sends ICMP Echos (pings) and one that sends UDP packets.
But they both manipulate the IP TTL field and that's what matters. The upper
layer data isn't really relevant, except for the last hop to an end station.
If you use UDP, the end station sends a Port Unreachable message. If you use
ping, the end station responds with a ping reply.

Both methods make use of the IP TTL and learn about routers in the path
because the routers decrement the TTL. If a router decrements the TTL to
zero, it sends back an ICMP TTL Exceeded message. That message is what
allows traceroute to know about the existance of each router.

If you want to hide your existance, you need to avoid sending that message.
If your core is MPLS-based (or a tunnel like I mentioned), then the routers
won't send the message. ACLs can also filter the message.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com