I've been hunting for specific technical documentation on stateful
failover between NAT instances in two routers, or even PIX.  I can
find lots of marketing references in the description of the Cisco
GRIP architecture, and details of stateful IPsec failover.  No
details of NAT failover.

On assorted search engines (Cisco and non-Cisco), it keeps coming
back to stateful packet inspection, but not NAT per se.

By stateful NAT failover, assume the following scenario:

R1 is primary and R2 is backup.  R1 knows its mappings from outside
address/port to inside address/port.  It shares this information with
R2, which remains passive. Presumably, inside routers use HSRP to
find the active NAT, which is on the DMZ.  HSRP on the DMZ can tell
the Internet access routers which NAT is active.

Does anyone know where this is documented, or is it simply considered
a subset of stateful packet inspection at the implementation, not
marketing, level?