[demime could not interpret encoding binary - treating as plain text]
Adrian,
To some extent your apprehension is justified, even natural. All of us in
the networking community, the world over are facing the same fears. I hate
to admit it, but i myself have thought about not going for the neext
certification because the market is already saturated with networking people.

But i know one thing, and that is that most of these so called networking
professionals, even though certified dont know jack about the stuff they are
certified on. And i do know this for sure because, i teach CCNA courses at
sevral institutes and i see the quality of students coming in. I generally
have a class size of 5, and out of the 5, when they go out, i can identify
maybe 1 student tho is worth his salt. And its not because i dont teach
them. Its because the dont know anything about networking. In a 40 hour (5
day) course, i cannot and willnot teach them what a network is, or what a
cat5 cable is. If this is the calibre of people getting certified, ask
yourself, can they really match up against someone who has paid his dues, so
as to speak, to the network god. I dont think so.

There is another aspect as well, most of us dont do this just for paying the
bills, even though that is the most important byproduct. We do it because we
love it. at least, speaking for myself, i can with a clear concience, say:
"I love what i do"! I just happen to derive a great amount of satisfaction
from my work.

So, hang in there, and remember, "even in times of recession, there is
always a market for quality"

-Nakul

>Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 02:53:37 GMT
> "adrian jones"  [EMAIL PROTECTED] OT:  Is it worth it to pursue CCIE
R&S and CCIE Security [7:57908]Reply-To: "adrian jones"

>Hi Everyone,
>
>My CCIE R&S lab is scheduled for December 2002 and Security is scheduled
>
>for January 2003.  As the exam is approaching fast, I am beginning to wonder
>
>whether it is worth it to pursue the certification for several reasons.  Let
>me
>
>explain
>
>1)  I just graduate with a Master degree in Computer Engineering at a
>
>university in the East Coast.  I've been in the networking field for the
past

>20 months.  I am currently working for a fortune 500 company as a
>
>network engineer.  The pay is OK; however, the company is looking
>
>to downsize within the next couple of months.  I think I will be
>
>out of work in the next couple of months.  I've been looking for work
>
>for the past three months.  At the moment, the job market is not that great
>
>and I've been having problem finding work.  Last week I get an a job
>
>offer as an Oracle 9i DBA (I learn Oracle9i when I have free time and
>
>manage to get certified in 9i).  I don't hate Oracle but networking is
>
>my first choice.  If I can't find anything within the next few weeks, I
>
>would have no choice but to accept this position (it pays the bill).
>
>I know two colleagues that I am working with.  They both have CCIEs
>
>(in the 5xxx #) and both are having problem finding work.  None of them
>
>have been able to land new jobs for the past four months.  They told
>
>me that the market is "flooded" with networking people and it is
>
>definitely an "employers" market.  Both of these guys have at least
>
>10 years of networking experience and it amazes me that they are
>
>having problem find work.
>

>To make the matter worse, even my own brother is a CCIE and he
>
>also is having problem find work.  Granted that he only has two years
>
>of networking experience.  Nevertheless, he has been looking for
>
>work for the past 5 months and no job offer.  He is telling me the same
>
>thing that the market is "saturated" with networking folks.  He has to
>
>compete with many qualified "unemployed" folks out there.
>

>That makes me question myself whether if it is worth it to pursue
>
>the CCIE R&S and CCIE Security given the market condition.  These
>
>guys have years of experiences and "certified" and are without jobs.
>
>I would have virtually no chance with people like them even if I am
>
>CCIE certified.  They are certified too.
>

>I know that it is too late to cancel the lab; however, this is just my
>
>personal feeling.  I am wondering if anyone out there is feeling the
>
>same way.  I would like to hear your take on this.
>

>Thanks.
>
>Adrian

NAKUL MALIK

H-342
New Rajendra Nagar
New Delhi-110060
India

Ph: +91-11-582-3488
Cell: +91-9811424477
Fax: +91-11-575-7334

Express yourself with a super cool email address from BigMailBox.com.
Hundreds of choices. It's free!
http://www.bigmailbox.com