Thanks.  I had expected that "router bgp ABC" and "router bgp XYZ"
did in fact start two processes.  I hadn't tried applying a
second "router bgp XYZ" to a config to confirm this worked.  But
as you point out, this isn't allowed (supported) and the router
reports the error:

router(config)#router bgp 1234
BGP is already running; AS is 123

I'm surprised that multiple IS-IS processes are not supported (but
I don't know diddley about IS-IS so...)   Any thoughts on why
cisco decided to support multiple OSPF processes (or why other
vendors did not)?