At 4:09 PM +0000 12/2/02, p b wrote:
>Thanks.  I had expected that "router bgp ABC" and "router bgp XYZ"
>did in fact start two processes.  I hadn't tried applying a
>second "router bgp XYZ" to a config to confirm this worked.  But
>as you point out, this isn't allowed (supported) and the router
>reports the error:
>
>router(config)#router bgp 1234
>BGP is already running; AS is 123
>
>I'm surprised that multiple IS-IS processes are not supported (but
>I don't know diddley about IS-IS so...)   Any thoughts on why
>cisco decided to support multiple OSPF processes (or why other
>vendors did not)?

There's a lot of things unclear about Cisco's early OSPF. The first
versions really didn't work, until a major rewrite about IOS 9.1(4).
I don't know if Derek Yeung took it over then or later, but, until he
left Cisco, was the main OSPF programmer.  I don't know if the
multiple processes were one of the original ideas, possibly to
preserve some of the pseudo-area feel of IGRP.

ISIS always worked, but it has a special advantage: almost every
major implementation (early NSFNET and other research
implementations, Cisco, and Juniper) were all designed and mostly
coded by Dave Katz.

These are just guesses.

It is worth looking at putting a Zebra/LINUX box or two in your lab
for extensive route generation, including routes with errors.
Probably cheaper than non-EOL routers. Zebra is free.