Secondarys will really hurt you in a DHCP environment.  The workstations on
the secondary subnet will get their DHCP request forwarded with a source
segment of the initial IP address on the interface.  This was good ammo for
me when I was in the same boat.

HTH

Darren

At 10:52 PM 12/3/2002 +0000, Edward Sohn wrote:
>Thanks to all for the responses to my VPN connections.
> I have pretty much verified it will work in an
>"active/failover" setting...
>
>Now, I have an issue where I need to convince my
>customer that it's better to subinterface a fast
>ethernet port into two separate VLANs rather than add
>secondary IP addressing on the router.
>
>Now, from my understanding I thought that secondary IP
>addressing is "traditionally" not recommended.  I
>thought I read somewhere that it creates instability
>for both networks and increases traffic.  Now, I'm not
>certain, so correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ed

>http://mailplus.yahoo.com
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
International Network Services
Darren S. Crawford - CCNP, CCDP, CISSP
Sr. Network Systems Consultant
Northwest Region - Sacramento Office
Voicemail (916) 859-5200 x310
Pager (800) 467-1467
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the person Who Did
It...Autograph Your Work With EXCELLENCE!