Actually using secondaries and DHCP should be a non issue with
any reasonable DHCP server platform.   As you mention, in many
versions of IOS the interface's primary IP address is used
as the DHCP giaddr.  If an interface has multiple secondaries,
one just needs to configure the DHCP server to be aware that
there are multiple scopes associated with the giaddr.

The use of secondaries and the DHCP server logic to understand
what scopes are associated with an interface is a useful feature
when one might need to renumber users from one subnet to another.
Or if one runs out of IP addresses on an existing subnet, one
can simply add on a secondary subnet onto the interface and DHCP
server without causing everyone to be renumbered.