Kevin's right. The perl process stopped running (evidently at a high traffic
time on the firewall) on the Linux box I've got MRTG running on over a
weekend. I got a steady high traffic flat line over a weekend during which
time use is usually low.  Scratched my head on that one for a little while
until I decided to stop and restart the daemon, did a ps to find the process
ID to kill it and discovered it wasn't even running. It appeared to continue
to populate with the last good number it got from the firewall. As soon as I
restarted it all was well in mrtg-land again.

Quoting Kevin Stone :