Well, the first thing to do would be to look at the interface counters
and make sure they concur with MRTGs view of the traffic.

In my experience when one of our customer routers has a huge burst in
traffic it is usually due to either file sharing or a DoS attack of some
type.  ACLs, netflow, and sniffers can help you with that part.