Chuck,

Sorry to hear you contracted the Agent 86 disease.  However, it
sounds like you won't have any problem the next time around.

Good Luck,
Prof. Tom Lisa, CCAI
Community College of Southern Nevada
Cisco ATC/Regional Networking Academy
"Cunctando restituit rem"

The Long and Winding Road wrote:

  In the words of the esteemed Maxwell Smart, missed it by that much.

  Good test. Liked it a lot.  Can't say much about the content,
  obviously.

  The 3550's were there. I think that those who have expressed
  reservations
  about this will find little to worry about. The Lab writers did a
  pretty
  good job of integrating the devices into the rack and the exam.

  I think I was more surprised by what I did NOT see than by what I did
  see.
  Wish I could say more.

  There were the usual off the wall requirements. I knew the names, or
  had
  heard of the technology, but had never practiced it. Here's where the
  doc CD
  came in handy. It was very easy to locate the information and do the
  required configuration.

  I did have one very odd problem I was unable to solve. My own
  practice, not
  to mention the doc CD configuration guide, told me that a particular
  configuration should have worked. But it didn't. I've mocked up the
  configuration here at home, and it took a total of 10 minutes to
  start from
  a router with no configuration and have it up and running correctly.
  But in
  the Lab it just would not work. I have an inquiry in to the CCIE Lab
  folks,
  asking them to check the rack. I believe there is a physical problem,
  although for the life of me I cannot come up with a plausible
  explanation as
  to why. I would get more specific, except this would be a direct
  violation
  of NDA. I will say that anyone who sits at rack 12 in San Jose - if
  you are
  absolutely certain your configuration is correct, tell the proctor. I
  hesitated to do so, and I paid the price. You'll know when you see it
  ;-)

  I did one stupid thing, and the more I think about it, I should have
  corrected it immediately when I discovered it. When I first created
  my
  notepad file with my alias commands, I stupidly did most of them as
  "alias
  configure" rather than "alias exec" Given that the lab is graded
  pretty much
  by scripts, I have this bad feeling that this mistake may have
  interfered
  with the operation of some of those scripts, meaning that I was not
  given
  credit for successfully completed tasks just because the script was
  unable
  to function properly.

  You are no longer given a point total in your report. When I counted
  up
  points in the late afternoon, I thought I had between 60 and 70. I
  had no
  reachability problems, save to one interface, and that interface had
  nothing
  depending upon it. I knew I didn't have enough points to pass, but I
  thought
  I was close. To judge from my score report, the final total was maybe
  35-45
  depending. As those of you who have been there know, the "dependings"
  will
  kill you every time. :-)

  I can say I had a lot of fun doing this test. That's probably part of
  the
  reason I failed - I'm having too much fun. I can also say I'm hot to
  trot. I
  can taste it. I'm yay close to passing, and I want back in as soon as
  I can
  get there. You can bet I'm checking CCO regularly for those open
  dates.

  Afterwards, I had the pleasure of hooking up with groupstudy regular
  Larry
  Letterman. Larry - thanks for the tour - it was impressive. I was
  reminded
  of exactly why I got into the tech business in the first place - the
  desire
  to do things like you are doing, important things, things that keep
  businesses competitive. You're doing a great job and I appreciate
  your
  taking some time to show me what you're working on.

  well, another time.

  Back on the road again.
  --
  TANSTAAFL
  "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"