Hi Folks,

    Can anyone tell me, or point me to a link that does, what happens on a
Catalyst Switch when an MTU problem occurs ?
I know that when a router is involved, if a packet is larger than the MTU of
the interface it needs to traverse, the router would examine the 'Don't
Fragment' (DF) bit within the packet. If the DF bit is set to 1 then the
packet will be dropped and an ICMP packet will be sent back to sending
device informing it of the fact. If, however, the DF bit is set to 0 then
the packet will be fragmented to conform to the MTU of the interface, and
will then be forwarded for re-assembly by the recieving device.
    What I would like to know is, what happens if this problem occurs within
a Switch ?

thanks,
Mark Haynes

" This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential
and
is the property of the Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Group. It is intended only
for
the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,
you
are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or
use
this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error,
please
notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message ".