Nrf, I always look forward to hearing your view. Your points are valid, and
I very much agree to your acknowledgement of the merging worlds of network
and systems engineering. As far as personnel management, though, my first
rule is to make decisions in the best interest of the company while ensuring
the staff is challenged and fulfilled. If Adrian's staff was not challenged
due to the diminished role of Routing and Switching, I don't believe his
first course of action should have been to throw them away. If they were
contractors to whom the company was not obligated to train outside the scope
of the original project, then concessions could have been made to
renegotiate the rate in return for realigned objectives. If they weren't
contractors, this is an example of a dangerous trend in all business
environments. There are ways around throwing an employee on the street. I
don't care WHAT kind of budget you have to work with. Sometimes cuts can't
be avoided regardless of the belt tightening that a department may do, but
this case does not seem to be one where an executive decision was made to
eliminate X amount of headcount. This list has provided countless posts of
industry aces taking massive pay cuts to put food on the table. It may be my
weakness to not have the "killer instinct" that Adrian has displayed, but
I'd rather offer any position I could as a Unix or security admin at a
lowered rate, than to take away someone's entire livelihood.

Bill Creighton CCNP
Senior System Engineer
Motorola
iDEN CNRC Packet Data / MPS