From: Elijah Savage III [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 4:18 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: VPN Concetrator #3030 [7:58982]

I have just finished a project like this. You can only do one or the
other you can't do redundant and load balancing all at once on the 3030.
If you want to be redundant where if one concentrator fails secondary
comes online and accepts request for it then you need to look into VRRP
so easy to do on the concentrator. If you want to do load balancing then
you will need to go to configuration, system, load balancing page on the
concentrator and set those options real easy also but Cisco has tons of
docs on CCO explaining it if you are not familiar. Now in load balancing
mode it is sort of redundant, because what happens; based on cpu usage
of your concentrators you have a master and slave the master will send a
redirect to the client and tells the client which concentrator to
connect to and if one fails then the other accepts all the connections
so what you have is if 100 connections are on the master and the slave
only has 50 connections more than likely the next connection to come in
will go to the slave. There is a myth that it round robins the
connections that is NOT true. There are also a few gotchas with this and
arp and such like if you are going to be giving out different ip address
for your dial in users than what subnet the concentrator is on then you
will have to route traffic from your internal network to the interface
of the concentrator because it does not answer arps for those clients,
(hope I did not confuse you with that last statement). If you are going
to put the concentrator behind a firewall make sure you pass all
appropriate vpn traffic without filtering, such as port 50 port 51 port
500 to the concentrator.

That should get you started in the right direction if you have any more
DIRECT questions please let us know and we will try to help you out, if
I missed anything I am sure someone else on the group will pick it up.