[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> These errors are probably occurring simply because you are
> running half-duplex.
> If you can bring the lines up to 100/full I believe it will
> clean up.

I agree.

> Are these
> errors happening continuously or in spurts during heavy traffic
> (that would be
> my guess)? If they are happening continuously, it may be a bad
> cable(s) or
> duplex mismatch between the two sides.
>
> Input and output errors are bad packets. Runts are (if I
> remember correctly)
> packets that are smaller than 64bytes and I believe they are
> counted in the
> error counts.

Yes, runts are packets that are smaller than 64 bytes. They are almost
always the result of a collision. The sender started sending, noticed
someone else sending, and backed off, leaving behind a little runt.

Runts are one of the many errors that are counted as input errors.
Sometimes, you can add up all your errors and get the same number that you
see for the generic "input error counter." But as Cisco says in their
documentation (without enough details), some additional errors get counted
as generic input errors. Also, frames can have more than one error. So the
sum doesn't always work out.

Runts, collisions, and CRC errors that result from collisions are all normal
in shared (half dupex) Ethernet, especially under high traffic conditions.

The real question to figure out is why your Gigabit Ethernet ports are
running at 10 Mbps half duplex? Can't you get them to run at Gigabit Full
Duplex?

Priscilla