""nrf""  wrote in message
> ""Henry D.""  wrote in message
> > Since we're just throwing out our thoughts here...
> >
> > I tend to disagree, following your logic, if the IP network
> > becomes such a commodity, I think this would just create more
> > jobs for people like us, I mean R/S guys.
>
> Hardly.  The total jobs in a commoditized world would be much less.
That's
> not to say there will be zero jobs, just less.   Again, consider the case
of
> electric power.  Or water.  How many companies, unless they're huge, have
an
> electrician or a plumber on staff?   OK, every once in awhile the
company's
> toilet will back up and you gotta bring somebody in.  But for the most
part,
> electricity and water just work.  You plug something in a wall socket and
it
> works.  You flush the toilet and it works.  You certainly don't need to
keep
> somebody on staff to take care of electricity and water, unless maybe
you're
> really really big and you can amortize the guy's salary over lots and lots
> of facilities.  Net effect - less demand for R/S skills.

CL: OTOH, there are plenty of guys driving around in their trucks doing just
that. I don't know the typical annual income for Joe the plumber or Bill the
electrician ( and just so the PC people don't get on my case, I have yet to
meet Mary or Jill in those lines of business ) but I believe there are more
of them today than there were a decade ago. In other words, the downwards
pressure on salaries will continue longer term.

CL: not too many years ago, just prior to the high tech boom, there were
wise people out there reminding us that while the demand for tech related
jobs would quintuple, in absolute numbers there would be need for more
janitors than for high tech people.

CL: just the kind of intelligent conversation I enjoy. thanks guys.