Perhaps your most important point is at the end, but I'd like to
amplify on it. The idea of a converged public Internet is probably
not achievable. I prefer to call service providers that move packets
"IP Service Providers," as opposed to "Internet Service Providers."
It's more accurate, and reflects the very different availability and
QoS requirements of applications, balanced against costs.

Right now, a lot of world-class router designers are unemployed or
underemployed, because there is so much optical overcapacity that
sophistication isn't needed, especially with private networks.  Much
of this, of course, is the current economy, which I do expect to turn
around. From my IETF/IRTF work, I do know that the current global
routing system isn't going to grow forever with the BGP paradigm, and
the best replacement is still a research problem.  Luckily, I'm able
to keep a hand in that.

We are a long way from having every application run on a commoditized
transport. I'll freely say that more of my income,  these days, comes
from both network and application architecture for bleeding-edge (a
phrase the surgeons HATE) medical systems. Now, some people here say
you need host as well as network experience.  While I'm reasonable at
UNIX, there's also the aspect of being able to communicate with the
users of particularly challenging applications.  I speak fluent
Doctor, which helps greatly, and can actually contribute to the
clinical application designs.

Don't assume that you necessarily have to have extra computer skills
(e.g., server administration).  Understanding an application area
from its user perspective can generate lots of work, be that
application telephony, medicine, law, etc. I have a friend who has
developed a specialty in automating car dealerships, and he has more
work than he can handle.

At 12:41 AM +0000 12/16/02, nrf wrote:
>""Henry D.""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>  Since we're just throwing out our thoughts here...
>>
>>  I tend to disagree, following your logic, if the IP network
>>  becomes such a commodity, I think this would just create more
>>  jobs for people like us, I mean R/S guys.
>
>Hardly.  The total jobs in a commoditized world would be much less.  That's
>not to say there will be zero jobs, just less.   Again, consider the case of
>electric power.  Or water.  How many companies, unless they're huge, have an
>electrician or a plumber on staff?   OK, every once in awhile the company's
>toilet will back up and you gotta bring somebody in.  But for the most part,
>electricity and water just work.  You plug something in a wall socket and it
>works.  You flush the toilet and it works.  You certainly don't need to keep
>somebody on staff to take care of electricity and water, unless maybe you're
>really really big and you can amortize the guy's salary over lots and lots
>of facilities.  Net effect - less demand for R/S skills.
>
>Consider the new initiatives that Cisco is trying to retrench themselves
>into the service-provider environment (again).  Things like NSF, GRIP, and
>things like that to increase reliability of gear.

Even though we have some of these mechanisms, we lack good management
tools and they are still expert-intensive to set up. Cisco could do a
much better job describing NSF, which is only a subset of some of the
routing protocol high-availability techniques in early deployment.
Yes, it's an adequate explanation for how to set it up for failure,
but its effect (basically good) on provider routing can get quite
subtle.  MPLS introduces some interesting failover methods that
complement it.

>>You seem to think that once the IP
>>  network
>>  is used for the services such as Voice, the Voice people
>>  will have taken the jobs.
>
>Either the existing voice people or other people who add VoX to their
>skillset.

 From direct experience, it's much easier to train a data person in
voice than vice versa.  Learning to speak "telco," however, is as
important as knowing what G.703 or SIP does.