A few points:
When I was fresh in the IT industry (over 20 years ago) the old-timers
who had been working maybe four years already would tell me that there
was no future in programming, after all they said, who uses a chauffeur
now that cars are so easy to drive?
Cars need very little maintenance now, there are still plenty of
mechanics because there are more cars.
Phone companies still employ a lot of telephone engineers, large
corporates often have on-site telephone staff.  There are more phone
companies now.  Voice is a commodity.
Here in London during the 80's property boom, electricians and plumbers
on the large contracts were being paid a lot more than any network
engineer I heard of at the time.
rgds
Marc