""Marc Thach Xuan Ky""  wrote in message
> A few points:
> When I was fresh in the IT industry (over 20 years ago) the old-timers
> who had been working maybe four years already would tell me that there
> was no future in programming, after all they said, who uses a chauffeur
> now that cars are so easy to drive?
> Cars need very little maintenance now, there are still plenty of
> mechanics because there are more cars.
> Phone companies still employ a lot of telephone engineers, large
> corporates often have on-site telephone staff.  There are more phone
> companies now.  Voice is a commodity.
> Here in London during the 80's property boom, electricians and plumbers
> on the large contracts were being paid a lot more than any network
> engineer I heard of at the time.

I would just add that many times (actually, more often than not, predictions
actually turn out to be correct).  For example, decades ago, people
predicted a decline in the number of jobs in farming.  And indeed the number
of jobs in farming declined substantially.  People also predicted a huge
decline in the number of jobs in old-school manufacturing  - steel, mining,
etc.  And indeed that came to pass.  And even for those jobs that didn't
decline, there was significant change in what they did.  Mechanics can't
just know how to fix carburetors, now they have to understand
fuel-injection.

IT has always been an industry of change.  What was hot at one point of time
may not be hot at another.  IBM mainframe skill was in big demand back in
the 70's, and it has been on a slow decline ever since.  COBOL was also huge
back then, and enjoyed a brief resurgence due to y2k, but is now declining.
I believe R/S skill will fade into the background because quite simply not
as many organizations are building out new networks anymore, nor do they
really need to.  The networks are built with most likely only incremental
buildouts in the near-future, and so now the question is what are you going
to do with the network.  That is what is going to get you jobs.  For those
of you who are still waiting for another huge network buildout boom, well,
sorry to tell you, but that train has left the station.